Re: Help with multiple IP networks over an ethernet one

Thanks again, I'll answer below:

El Mie, 10 de Septiembre de 2008, 22:34, Grant Taylor escribió:
> On 09/10/08 14:13, ArcosCom Linux User wrote:
>> Thanks for the response, I'll answer the questions below:
>
> You are welcome.
>
>> Because I cant have another uplink in the router place and I need to
>> put that in another building that can have another uplink.
>
> Ok... Let me see if I (now) understand you right.  You have your router
> in question along with uplinks 1 and 2 (and their associated modems /
> routers) in one location and uplink 3 (and it's associated modem /
> router) and (part of) the LAN are located in another building?  Further
> you can't make an additional connection between the buildings to connect
> uplink 3 to the router?

I can't, there's no visible line between builds.

>> Ah, no, this is not the reason. It's a "logistic" reason only.
>
> *nod*  (Logistics being proximity and / or cabling)
>
>> Yes, that appears to be the problem (seeing tcpdumps in each
>> interface).
>
> *nod*
>
>> Do you have any suggestion about that parameters on that interfaces?
>
> I don't recall the option(s) that need to be set off hand, but I think
> you are looking for the the ARP /proc entries that tell the system to
> only reply to ARP queries if they come in an interface that has an IP in
> the subnet that the query is for.  Thus when you receive ARP queries on
> eth0 and eth3, the system should only reply from eth0 or eth3 depending
> on what IP is being ARPed for (the uplink 3 or LAN IP).

Appears that, between e-mail and e-mail, I have a workaround changing arp
parameters to the interfaces.

Many thanks!!

> Something else to consider is VLAN trunking across the connection from
> eth0 to the LAN(s).  Heck, you might consider putting all six networks
> on its own VLAN: u1, u2, u3, l1, l2, and l3.  If you trunk across the
> connection between buildings, you can access the uplink modems any where
> you can connect to the VLAN.  I've successfully had a cable modem (that
> was connected to its own VLAN) at the opposite end of a campus from the
> router with out any problems at all.

Uhmm ... VLANs ... sound fine!!

Do you know any URL to begin with VLANs?

Thanks!!