Re: Help with multiple IP networks over an ethernet one

Thanks for the response, I'll answer the questions below:

El Mie, 10 de Septiembre de 2008, 16:15, Grant Taylor escribió:
> On 09/10/08 02:51, ArcosCom Linux User wrote:
>> Thanks for the response, I explain a bit more.
>
> *nod*
>
>> The 3 uplinks have 3 public IP addressess (one per uplink), and are
>> "ADSL" links, one public ip per interface.
>
> Ok.
>
>> eth1 and eth2 have, each one, their direct connect to their ADSL
>> gateway.
>
> Ok.
>
>> eth3 (public IP) and eth0 (private IP) share the same ethernet
>> network.
>
> This confirms what I was thinking.  However I ask why they are sharing
> the same ethernet network?  Why is the uplink 3 connection on the same
> ethernet network as your LANs?  Is there as reason that this is the case
> rather than just putting uplink 3 directly on eth3 with out putting it
> across the LANs network segment?

Because I cant have another uplink in the router place and I need to put
that in another building that can have another uplink.

>> Physically, this shared ethernet have many wireless bridges (using
>> STP) to link all the buildings we need to link.
>
> Ok.  This should not matter.
>
>> The test I done to see the latences are send 2 pings to the same
>> physical place to diferent defices from the linux box.
>
> Ok...
>
>> One ping from router to adsl gateway (eth3->uplink3 gateway) and, at
>> the same time, one ping from router to a workstation (eth0->LAN).
>>
>> Physically the two pings go trought the same physicall path and end
>> in the same switch where the uplink3 gateway and the test workstation
>> are.
>
> So the uplink 3 gateway is on the LAN and on the local side of a WAN link?

Yes.

>> In router:
>>
>> a) I MASQUERADE the IP by interface (-j MASQUERADE), because I need
>> to have all ougoing frames control.
>
> Is this the only reason that you have both eth0 and eth3 connected to
> the same ethernet network?

Ah, no, this is not the reason. It's a "logistic" reason only.

>> b) I balance the routers (as described in lartc and use magle to
>> allow the responses from the incomming interface where they arrives.
>
> I believe this should be able to be done independent of the physical
> interface that packets are leaving.

Yes, I think so too, only put here to put more information.

>> c) I use tc (using HTB qdiscs) for the QoS (the problem became with
>> QoS disabled too, don't think this were the problem).
>
> Ok.
>
>> Yesterday, I found a local kernel text file called
>> /usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-2.6.18/Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt
>> (internet is not all) where I see a very usefull information about ip
>> parameters and appears that tweaking some of them will solve some
>> problems with ARP, but really I don't know many of these parameters
>> and only appears to be usefull for me some of them: arp_filter,
>> arp_accept, arp_ignore, rp_filter.
>
> With out knowing for sure what the problem is or what is causing it I
> can't say what to adjust.  However I suspect your problem has something
> to do with the fact that (if I recall correctly) Linux will by default
> respond to ARP queries on any interface for an IP that may be bound to a
> different interface.  In short IPs are more or less bound to the box not
> the interface, thus any interface can get you to the box.  There are a
> couple of /proc entries that will adjust the kernel's ARP behavior to
> make it only respond to ARP queries if they are bound to an IP that is
> bound to the interface that it is coming in on, rather if the
> interface's IP is in the subnet pertinent to the ARP query.
>
> I'm just guessing (with out seeing some TCPDumps of traffic) that
> systems on either eth0 or eth3 are needing to ARP for either of the IPs
> of eth0 or eth3 and the wrong interface is replying, or both are
> replying.  If both interfaces are replying at the same time or if they
> are flip flopping back and forth I can see how your layer 2 ethernet
> network / switch would be getting confused as well as devices wanting to
> talk to said IPs.

Yes, that appears to be the problem (seeing tcpdumps in each interface).

Do you have any suggestion about that parameters on that interfaces?