Re: conntrackd failover works partially, was Re: conntrack performance test results in INVALID packets

Hi Pablo,

Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> * I had to rise the default value of SocketBufferSize and
> SocketBufferSizeMaxGrowth in conntrackd.conf to avoid netlink overflows
> with such amount of traffic. There are log messages in conntrackd.log
> that warn about this issue. Also, you can notice this if you observe
> that conntrackd hits 100% CPU consumption at some point - this happens
> when netlink overflows.

We already raised these values in the past. There are no hints in the
log about overflows.

> * Also, I had to rise the default value of McastSndSocketBuffer and
> McastRcvSocketBuffer since I was noticing packets lost via conntrackd -s
> - see multicast sequence tracking. This happens when the link gets
> pretty congested because of

Since upgrade to >0.9.6, there's no problem with multicast packets in
'conntrackd -s'. On the other hand, we have a dedicated 1 gigabit link
as cluster interconnect. I do not expect congestion there.

> With these tweaks the results were good, conntrackd was consuming about
> the same percetange of CPU than ksoftirqd (~25% each via top, which is
> not very reliable but it's OK for an estimation).

We have quad core machines, and CPU is idling a lot. 2 of the cores are
idle 100%, two are idle around 50%.

> 1) does /var/log/conntrackd.log - or syslog - tells anything relevant?
> Are the entries being comitted to kernel-space successfully?

according to both conntrackd.log and syslog, entries are being commited.
I see no relevant negative entries in both logs (except of course the
INVALID packets).

> 2) Can you see the committed entries in the kernel via `conntrack -L'
> after the fail-over?

yes.

> 3) Are you noticing any abnormal CPU consumption?

no.

Best regards
Bernhard