Re: Question about packet flow picture.

I do not believe it is accurate.  Primarily because  it appears to
indicate that forwarded packets go through the INPUT and OUTPUT
chains, and AFAIK, they do not.

This is much newer, and I believe, more accurate:
http://jengelh.medozas.de/images/nf-packet-flow.png

For something simpler, iptables-only, and less intimidating:
http://dmiessler.com/images/DM_NF.PNG

I have also referenced this in the past:
http://linux-ip.net/nf/nfk-traversal.png