Re: Regarding iptables mac matching

On 08/21/08 09:33, Abhishek Singh wrote:
I like to block the access of that host to other hosts, the gateway and the internet as well. But I'm unable to do that using the above mentioned rules. I'm quite optimistic that someone help me with this problem.

In short I am fairly certain that you will not (reliably) be able to block host to host communications on your LAN. Here's a quick synopsis of a very similar discussion on the EBTables mailing list.

Consider your LAN a small room with multiple people in it, all of which are in ear shot of each other. So when one person tries to talk to another person they can do it with out a problem because it is directly between each other. Your firewall only enters the picture when someone tries to leave the room to go out to the world. With out shouting at everyone, there is very little that you can do to prevent each other from talking between them selves.

Thanks in advance.

*nod*

Grant. . . .

P.S. This assumes that all the systems are on the same subnet. If they are on different subnets and have to pass through the router to get between subnets you can do something if you want to.