CacheWriteThrough or commiting to the kernel table does not work

Hi folks,

I try it once more after looking more deeply into it.

I have a setup with 2 routers/firewalls using OSPF to 2 upstream routers. Because of OSPF I do not have connection persistency, i.e. packets belonging to a certain connection must be able to pass both firewalls.

So I installed conntrack-tools (current version) using a ftfw setup on both routers/firewalls. I switched CacheWriteThrough to on, because
	# If you have a multiprimary setup (active-active) without connection
	# persistency, ie. you can't know which firewall handles a packet
	# that is part of a connection, then you need direct commit of
	# conntrack entries to the kernel conntrack table. OSPF setups must
	# set on this option. Default is Off.
	#
	CacheWriteThrough On

To me that sounds that I do not have to commit the external cache manually (via conntrackd -c) because it is committed automatically.

But when I test the setup, it does not work. Here are the details again:
1. I make a test ping from a server to the outside. The ping leaves via router2, the answer comes in via router1. 2. I use "conntrackd -e" on router1 to make sure the connection has been sync'd over from router2 to router1.
3. The firewall on router1 blocks the incoming packet.
4. Disabling the firewall makes the packets pass.

I can only interpret that as CacheWriteThrough does not work. So I made another test: I setup a script that calls "conntrackd -c" every 5 seconds and let a long stream of pings and http calls run - the packets on router1 were still blocked.

That leads me to the conclusion that committing the cache to the kernel table does not work at all. How can I test specifically that?

And how can I solve this problem? Any hint or help is appreciated. I can post the conntrackd.conf, if it is of any use. The conntrackd logfile does not contain anything besides startup messages.

Please help!

Dirk