Re: chownat

On 08/04/08 10:07, Brent Clark wrote:
Has anyone played with chownat.

I can't say as I have.

I haven't played or tested it, but from what I gather, isn't this how skype is works and theoretically breaks / gets past NAT.

I don't know how Skype works so I can't say. I believe the general premise behind things like this is that NAT can fairly easily be subverted by having both ends try to initiate an outbound connection to each other in such a manner that the outbound connections can end up in fashion (a very poor choice of words) ""spliced together by some how confusing (?) the NAT table and / or state table so that the NATing devices believe that each end is really receiving replies to its own outbound connections from the other end. Thus there is a form of two way tunnel between the two end. I believe that usually a third entity in the middle is needed to initiate the connection which once initiated falls back to just the two end points.

Take a look at how STUN works for UDP and VoIP.

In my opinion and proving that people that solely rely on NAT, are in for a surprise.

The thing that you have to remember is 1) this type of tunnel requires active support (someone doing something) on both ends, 2) NAT is not a security mechanism, and 3) this does not take in to account any form of egress filtering that should help stop this.

I look forward to peoples opinion / thoughts.

*nod*

Please provide more of your opinion / concerns for the sake of discussion.

Hope im wrong.

I don't think you are wrong. Things like this can and will be abused. There are also cases where things like this are a good thing, i.e. STUN for VoIP. This, or its technology, is a tool and just like any other tool, it can be used for both good *and* bad.

Grant. . . .