Re: [ANNOUNCE] Release of iptables 1.4.2-rc1

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> G.W. Haywood wrote:
>
> > I'm curious about the ipset userspace tool - will it eventually find
> > its way to the iptables tarball?  Right now it seems that you get it
> > kind of incidentally when you apply the kernel patch, which seems to
> > me a little odd.
>
> Jozsef should be able to answer that.

With the iptables source you already get the userspace part of the set
match and target. The (new) ipset source tarball contains both the ipset
userspace tool and the kernel modules, including the netfilter match and
target. There's no need for patch-o-matic-ng for ipset anymore, so the
life is easier to get the complete ipset functionality.

As I stated several times, I do not want to submit the kernel part of
ipset for inclusion: there's no point to waste the resources of the
maintainers as I have been working on a complete rewriting of ipset.
By the next netfilter development workshop I want to release the first
version of it, so it's not in the indefinite future anymore.

I'd not like the ipset userspace tool to be included into the iptables
source either. That'd be an even stranger situation and then there'd come
even bigger pressure to submit the kernel part of the present version of
ipset.

Best regards,
Jozsef
-