Re: ebtables to perform MAC NAT ?

Oscar N wrote:
Hi!

I looked into "MAC NAT" 1-2 years ago and actually got it to work, but it
included some nasty changes to how linux process arp. I therefor solved
the problem I had another way. The feature is still on the todolist on
ebtables: http://ebtables.sourceforge.net/documentation.html#todo

Anyway, this is some notes I had from back then if it's useful for someone:

There are at least 4 scenarios that need to work.
DNAT and SNAT are referring to NAT done in ebtables.

*at least* ... as example, you forgpt the case where 1.1.1.2 wants to talk with 1.1.1.3 (case where broadcast is sent everywhere for discovery, unless ... )

But, you rougly understood how complex my problem is, from ARP point of view. I will have a look at your website.

***

after installing parprouted on Debian, from man parprouted:

DESCRIPTION
       parprouted is a daemon for transparent IP (Layer 3) proxy ARP bridging.
       Unlike standard bridging, proxy ARP bridging allows to bridge Ethernet
       networks behind wireless nodes. Normal L2 bridging does not work
       between wireless nodes because wireless does not know about MAC
       addresses used in the wired Ethernet networks. Also this daemon is use
       ful for making transparent firewalls.

says long about my problem :)

--
 >o_/ DEMAINE Benoit-Pierre (aka DoubleHP) http://benoit.demaine.info/
If computing were an exact science, IT engineers would not have work \_o<

"So all that's left, Is the proof that love's not only blind but deaf."
(FAKE TALES OF SAN FRANCISCO, Arctic Monkeys)