Re: MARK and CONNMARK

Hi,

sorry to hijack the thread a little bit... Just say I want to mark the connections based on the network they are coming from/going to... does this look appropriate? eth19 and eth20 are connected to adsl modems and hence the internet. eth41 is the local lan.

maybe it helps answer the question, what use is conntrack...

#first line in prerouting pulls out existing mark on the connection for the packet
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --restore-mark
  #check to see if there is a mark now, if so accept
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -m mark  --mark 1 -j ACCEPT
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -m mark  --mark 2 -j ACCEPT
    #else we need to add a mark
  #mark incoming from eth19
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -d 192.168.19.253 -j MARK --set-mark 1
  #mark incoming from eth20
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -d 192.168.20.253 -j MARK --set-mark 2

  #save the mark for future packets
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --save-mark

  #outgoing on eth41, the local interface, no marks required so accept.
  iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -o eth41 -j ACCEPT
  #check if the connection is already marked
  iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -j CONNMARK --restore-mark
  #accept marked packets
  iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m mark  --mark 1 -j ACCEPT
  iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -m mark  --mark 2 -j ACCEPT

  #else we want to set the markings for the connection
  #on outgoing connection via eth19 = wan1 we set the mark 1
  iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -d 192.168.19.253 -j MARK --set-mark 1
  #on outgoing connection via eth20 = wan2 we set the mark 2
  iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -d 192.168.20.253 -j MARK --set-mark 2

  #save the mark for future packets from this connx
  #iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j CONNMARK --save-mark

now to have some rules to act on the marks

  ip rule add fwmark 1 table 101
  ip rule add fwmark 2 table 102

and finally some route tables  - 101 and 102
      #iinet network interface
#we want to have rules for each packet that can be encountered in this table
      #local interfaces
      ip route add default via 192.168.19.254 dev eth19 table 101
      ip route add 192.168.41.0/24 dev eth41 table 101
      #no need for openvpn to get caught up in these tables
      #isp services
      ip route add  203.0.178.0/24 via 192.168.19.254 dev eth19 table 101

      #tpg network interface
#we want to have rules for each packet that can be encountered in this table
      #local interfaces
      ip route add default via 192.168.20.254 dev eth20 table 102
      ip route add 192.168.41.0/24 dev eth41 table 102
      #no need for openvpn to get caught up in these tables
      #ISP services
      ip route add 203.12.160.0/24 via 192.168.20.254 dev eth20 table 102
      #internal networks

the grand plan is to route packets back out the wan connection the conversation was started from, for email server incoming connections, as well as maintaining the routes for outgoing connections from the local lan PCs.

      #the magic dual wan gateway route command
      ip route add default nexthop via 192.168.19.254 dev eth19 weight 1 \
              nexthop via 192.168.20.254 dev eth20 weight 1

      #some dodgy settings
      echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/all/rp_filter
      echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
      ip route flush cache

regards

Brian