DNAT multiple --to-destination gone: why?

According to man iptables:

DNAT...
              In Kernels up to 2.6.10 you  can  add  several  --to-destination
              options.  For those kernels, if you specify more than one desti-
              nation address, either via an address range  or  multiple  --to-
              destination  options, a simple round-robin (one after another in
              cycle) load  balancing  takes  place  between  these  addresses.
              Later  Kernels  (>= 2.6.11-rc1) don't have the ability to NAT to
              multiple ranges anymore.

I'm wondering why this feature was removed?

What are the workarounds/alternatives?

The reason I ask is that I'm using the range feature to DNAT packets round-robin to 5 machines (.101-.105). .103 just had a hard drive failure and when I went to remove it from the iptables config I find I can't do that anymore as the feature was removed! I've worked around the problem by re-IPing a machine but I'm wondering if there is a iptables solution to this so I'll be better prepared in future?

Thanks!

ds