Re: What are these and how can I not log them?

Hi Grant,

Thanks for the response...

Jul 7 17:52:46 myhost IPTABLES-IN Default Drop: IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:00:08:9b:ac:c3:41:08:00 SRC=192.168.1.75 DST=192.168.1.255 LEN=78 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=64 ID=0 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=137 DPT=137 LEN=58

These are NetBIOS Name Service packets. These packets are from Windows computers (or any computer using Windows networking) looking for other computers on the network.

Ok, makes sense, at least for the computers inside my network - but when the flood happens, it is from a non-local IP address, although I can't swear that the source/dest ports are the same... I'll have to watch for the next one and grab a snippet...

With out knowing what you have in your firewall I can not even begin to tell you how to not get them in your logs. It looks like (based on the "IPTABLES-IN Default Drop") that this is a catch all rule that drops any thing that has not explicitly been previously allowed.

Yeah, I had someone help me set this up years ago, and I told him I wanted it buttoned up as tight as possible. He even added rules to block most OUT bound traffic as well, which I have since learned is probably not a great idea...

Any chance you or someone could help me in re-evaluating my current ruleset?

To dump the current rules to a file I'd just do:

iptables-save > myrules

Then just copy/paste the contents here for evaluation (if thats ok)?

Thanks again for your time...