Re: iptables resources consumed

On 7/4/2008 12:22 AM, Elison Niven wrote:
I'd just like to clarify a few things I should have done before.

1) Eth0 and eth2 will always be in different subnets.

Ok.

2) All RTP traffic that has to be sent to the DSPs will always arrive to eth0.

Ok.

Eth2 is an internal IP address. The system is known only by one IP address to the outer world - that of eth0.

*nod*

Consider an example: My System's IP is eth0 - 192.168.1.50, subnet mask - 255.255.255.0 Eth2 (internal) is 192.168.2.50, The DSPs are 192.168.2.51 to 192.168.2.58, subnet mask - 255.255.255.0 The default gateway of the DSPs is eth2 - 192.168.2.50.

This is simple enough.

There is a voice call from another device at 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.50.

Outside the system, the following transfers are visible (say in wireshark/ethereal):

192.168.1.100 --> Sends RTP:
src IP = 192.168.1.100
dest IP = 192.168.1.50
src port = 8000
dest port = 10000

My system 192.168.1.50 --> Sends RTP:
Src IP = 192.168.1.50
Dest IP = 192.168.1.100
Src port = 10000
Dest port = 8000

Ok. This is the request and the reply (if you will) as seen when sniffing the cable connected to eth0 of your system.

Inside the system, the RTP is actually generated by the DSPs, say DSP1 here.

DSP1 --> Sends RTP:
Src IP = 192.168.1.50 - This is IP spoofing. DSP1's actual IP is 192.168.2.51. This is the IP as seen in the source IP field in the IP header.
Dest IP = 192.168.1.100
Src port = 10000
Dest port = 8000

This traffic is received on eth2 and must be sent out through eth0. The purpose of faking the IP is not to have to do SNAT on such packets.

You can do the source IP spoofing here, but I would not recommend it for multiple reasons. - You will have to (re)configure all the DSPs with the IP of eth0 if it ever changes.
 - This could conflict with reverse path filtering on your system.
 - IMHO this is bad form.
- If the DSP wants to communicate with your system it will have to use a different source IP, or other trickery will have to be done to allow your system to communicate with the DSP.
 - SNATing is not going to be that much of a load.

The traffic that the other device is sending is received on eth0. Such traffic is forwarded to DSP1.

Ok.

Each of the DSPs also sends control packets that are always sent as:

Src IP = DSPs actual IP address = 192.168.2.51 Dest IP = eth2 = 192.168.2.50

Ok.

Such packets need to be sent to a local process on the CPU.

By standard routing and socket binding this will be inherent.

So I guess the minimal rules needed will be:

1) For packets received on interface eth2

IF Destination IP != eth2 IP THEN send the packet out from eth0 ELSE send it to the CPU

This is not a rule. This is standard routing / forwarding. If a packet coming in to an interface has a destination IP belonging to the system, it will be processed by the system. If a packet coming in to an interface has a destination that does not belong to the system it will be forwarded as long as forwarding is enabled.

2) For packets received on interface eth0

Now the system will be listening for http, telnet and ftp connections on their fixed port numbers. The system will also be listening for SIP connections to a fixed port - say 5060. Such packets obviously need to be sent to the CPU. Does that mean I have to check the destination port number of all the packets received?

IF Dest port of packet == 80 (http) OR 21(ftp) OR 23(telnet) OR 5060(sip). (Does this becomes a single rule or more than one?) THEN send packet to the CPU ELSE goto below rules

No. Again, any packets coming in with a destination IP belonging to the system will be passed up in to the system for processing.

For all other packets received, the rule will be (for the example above):

IF Source IP == 192.168.1.100 and destination port == 10000. Again does this become 2 different rules? If I also check the source port of the packet here, will that add a new rule? THEN send the packet to DSP1. This will require a DNAT I think. ELSE drop the packet.

This is one rule with multiple conditions to it. If this or other rules are not matched, have a final rule or chain default policy to drop the packet.

Now I intend to (horribly) support 256 such calls and I need to figure out the minimal rules that would be required.

Can you provide a list of source / destination IPs and ports or a pattern there of? I'll look at it and see how many rules I think would be needed (with and with out the optimizations that I spoke of).

(Ofcourse, I see above that there would be some (don't know how many) problems when an external device with IP = 192.168.2.51 wants to talk to my system, But we'll get to it later.)

Heh. This is another reason why I suggest that you not have your external IP configured on the DSPs because if you need to change it, you will have to change configs on your DSPs too.

Now this brings up a question as to whether this is a config for a specific install or if this is to be more dynamic and installed a bunch of places. If it is the former corners can be cut, but if it is the later, care should be taken to take these types of things in to account.

Grant. . . .