undefined references when linking

Hi,
I'm new to this list, I'm new to programming with netfilter (though I've been using it on my linux installation for years) and I'm warning you that my programming style hovers between C and C++. I do have a lot of experience at compiling with different libs, however this issue puzzled me quite a lot.

I'm interested in the QUEUEing mechanism, so I downloaded the libnetfilter_queue source and found the example/test program. I kept all the includes and basically made no important changes to it. The libraries nfnetlink and netfilter_queue that are installed have been installed (and reinstalled) from the gentoo tree (which has been sync before doing so). To my knowlege, all is good so far.

When compiling all is good also, however at the time of linking I get one "undedefined reference to <some netfilter_queue func here>" for each func that I use. I verified and the link is done properly, i mean the linker finds the library and reads it well. The library it finds does contain the symbols (found with dumpelf, they are not UND).

I'm wondering if this is a known issue you guys know of or if it would be a problem strictly on the side of gentoo? I will try to recompile both libs by hand soon and see how that goes... (but this will be a challenge since the Quebec's holiday is coming real soon, similar to the 4th of july but where people drink stronger beer!)

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help/pointers (to defined references!),

  Simon

PS: Also, I have just one more question in mind, is that the packet that is examined by netfilter_queue is in fact the Ethernet frame, right? and its data would be, for example, an IP structure which in turn could contain a TCP structure and so on... but initially with netfilter_queue I'll be working with eth, right?