Re: conntrack and PREROUTING

Hi Jan,

--- On Fri, 6/20/08, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> >Hi All,
> >
> >Is the PREROUTING chain bypassed if a connection is
> ESTABLISHED?
>
> Generally, no. For the nat table yes, which is only
> consulted on
> new connections.
>
> >There are hints to this in the documents I've read
> but I haven't
> >found anything definitive.
> >
> >I'm using Dansguardian with TinyProxy with the
> following rule:
> >
> >iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -d !
> 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -i eth0
> >-p tcp -m tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 3129
> >
> >Everything is working, from a proxy perspective, as
> expected.
> >However, if I play a high bit-rate (>4 Mbps) video
> stream over HTTP,
> >the playback is very choppy.  The choppiness is due to
> ACK latency
> >through the proxy.  (Video playback is fine if I remove
> the proxy.)
> >
> >I know I could just create a nat PREROUTING rule to
> bypass the proxy
> >for the site I'm attempting to stream video from
> but I'm looking for
> >a more general solution.  Thus, what I'm attempting
> to do is have
> >ACKs bypass the proxy after the connection is
> ESTABLISHED.  I tried
> >using the raw table in PREROUTING but the my rule was
> never hit.
> >(Thus, the reason for my first question.) The raw table
> rules I
> >attempted were:
> >
> >iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -d !
> 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -i eth0
> >-p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK ACK -m tcp
> --dport 80 -m
> >state --state ESTABLISHED -j NOTRACK
> >
> >   -and-
> >
> >iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -d !
> 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -i eth0
> >-p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK ACK -m tcp
> --dport 80 -m
> >conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j NOTRACK
> >
> >Does this even make sense?
>
> Yes, but:
>
> >Is what I'm attempting to do possible with the
> existing
> >implementation?
>
> The connection tracking and NAT subsystems might get
> confused if
> they do not see all ACKs despite the TCP window moving on.
> You
> will know when the connection hangs.

The connections do hang if I change the rule to:

iptables -t raw -A PREROUTING -d ! 192.168.2.0/255.255.255.0 -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags FIN,SYN,RST,ACK ACK -m tcp --dport 80 -j NOTRACK

This makes sense, I believe, because the ACK to the SYN-ACK wouldn't be tracked and the connection state would never reach ESTABLISHED.

Regards,
...doug