Want to "plug in" a link-level protocol into IP stack

I have used FreeBSD's Netgraph to successfully develop a unique link-level
protocol.  I would like to do a similar thing in Linux and would like to do
the initial implementation in userland.  I use Ethernet packets on a
LAN and embed
the protocol inside them.  I have to modify outgoing packets and strip out
header/trailers from incoming packets.  IP frames need to be passed-up
the stack.

Would Netfilter be the best way to approach this? If not, what other
LINUX tools make sense\?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-- Len