Re: [libnetfilter_queue] Load Balancing using multiple queues

Hello,

On Friday, 2008 June  6 at  4:08:45 -0700, Vincent Arniego wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> That's actually a good suggestion, Unfortunately we can't force teach our subscribers to use a proxy in their setup. They use a certain equipment that uses 3G and configuring it would be like rocket science to them.

Hmmm, most proxy can be configured to be used transparently.

> 11K packets per second, its ingress. We are  looking at around 114 Mbps total traffic at the worst case scenario. And yep, its doesn't look like much... yet.
>
> The application's made already, and it looks at patterns in the payload to determine whether its a GET or http Response. Its working, but we would like to know if there's a way to spread the traffic out among multiple queues automatically.
>
> I was thinking of something like
>
> iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 0:5
>
> something like that. This doesn't work btw.

You can use statistic module to do so by using something like:
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -m statistic \
	--mode nth --every 6 --packet 0 -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 0
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -m statistic \
	--mode nth --every 6 --packet 1 -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 1
iptables -A FORWARD -p tcp --dport 80 -m statistic \
	--mode nth --every 6 --packet 5 -j NFQUEUE --queue-num 5

But, I don't think you will get much performance improvement by doing that.

BR,
--
Eric Leblond
INL: http://www.inl.fr/