Re: DNAT routing problem

On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Andrea Ranieri <andreran@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 5/8/08, Grant Taylor wrote:
>
>> NAT rules are applied to the first packet in a connection and then the
>> same action is auto-magically applied to all other packets in the
>> connection with out passing them through the NAT table.
>>
>> So what you are seeing is probably very likely based on existing verses
>> new connections.
>
> Thanks for your reply, but it seems I didn't explain my problem clearly.
> I have a connectionless flow of ipv4 packets. No TCP, UDP or any L4
> payload at all.
> So my question now is: does netfilter (with D/SNAT or NETMAP target)
> provide basic natting features without having a L4 payload, or a
> connection oriented flow is required for natting?

After a couple of other tests, I have some relevant news.

My previous tests involved a ipv4 flow going always from 10.0.5.2 to
10.0.6.2, and the results remains those I wrote in my first mail.
Now I tried to change the source IP, and finally, the natting process
begins. But obiviously with a strange behavior...

In this test I always have the 10.0.5.2->10.0.6.2 flow running, and a
10.0.5.[2 to 5]->10.0.6.2 flow. Every IP except the .2 get natted. The
.2 remains unchanged. Moreover, when i flush the nat table, the rule
disappear but .3, .4 and .5 IPs continue to get natted. I think that's
a cache problem.

It's time to put feet in the mouth, isn't it? ^___^

Cheers
Andrea