Re: Redirecting ports in a bridge

Thanks for the advice. I'll try with EBTables, then.

*nod*

Except for possibly some syntactical change your rules should be very similar and operate in the same fashion.

Based on your previous statement "I don't want to mess with the real IPs" it sounds like you don't even want to change source / destination IPs of the traffic going to the back end system. Am I understanding you correctly that you indeed want to not alter the source and / or destination IP? If this is the case, be aware that you do not want to NAT the IP and that you will be down to NATing the MAC address (which can be done but is another discussion) as the frame is passing through the bridge.

I guess I should ask:

+---+         +---+   +---+   +---+
| C +-- - - --+ R +---+ A +---+ S |
+---+         +---+   +---+   +---+

Presuming that C is the client, R is the router, A is the appliance, and S is one or more of the servers, do you want S to see the source and destination IP that the client connected to? Or is it ok for the appliance to munge the source and / or destination IP (as seen by the server) in the process of redirecting to the server?

Well.. I don't speak English very well, so it's easy to misunderstand my posts :-)

In your graph, "S" is my LAN with my all my servers and local workstations. When I say that "I don't want to mess with the real IPs", I mean I don't want to make any change within my LAN.

The point of the redirection is that, when I need to make a change in one of my servers, I'd like my appliance to redirect all the traffic coming from the extranet ("C") to another server. For example, if I have to stop the web server while upgrading, I'd like all the traffic coming from outside to reach another web server with a catched version of my web page.

The proccess should be something like that:

* C starts a connection to S1, port 80
* R routes that packet to my LAN
* A captures that packet, and changes the destintation to S2, port 80
* S2 generates a response to C
* A captures that packet, and changes its source to S1, port 80
* R routes that packet to the outside network
* C gets a packet from S1, port 80

I'm making some tests with EBTables in my lab enviroment.
I'll tell you the results.

Thanks a lot.