Re: safely apply new rulesets: iptables-apply

On Mar 5 2008 00:16, martin f krafft wrote:

>iptables-apply is a simple shell script which applies the new
>ruleset and then prompts whether you like it. If you've locked
>yourself out, you cannot answer the prompt, and if you don't, the
>script rolls back the ruleset. Nice and simple.

It needs a minor tweak in that the timeout needs to be started
before you output anything to the terminal, just in case the
terminal blocks.

On a related note, you cannot trap signal 0:
	trap "rm -f $TMPFILE" 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 10 11 12 13 14 15

>Could this script possibly make it into the iptables distribution
>tarball? I am flexible about the licence and all...

The idea gets my approval.