safely apply new rulesets: iptables-apply

Hi folks,

You probably now the feeling, that cold and hot rush of adrenaline
after you've typed "iptables-restore < new-ruleset" and didn't get to
see the shell prompt again: you've just locked yourself out of
a machine that’s potentially far away, and you feel like vandalism,
or screaming on the top of your lungs, or whatever.

I've had that feelings once too many and ended up writing
iptables-apply[0] with a docbook manpage[1].

0. http://svn.madduck.net/pub/sbin/base/iptables-apply
1. http://svn.madduck.net/pub/sbin/base/iptables-apply.dbk

iptables-apply is a simple shell script which applies the new
ruleset and then prompts whether you like it. If you've locked
yourself out, you cannot answer the prompt, and if you don't, the
script rolls back the ruleset. Nice and simple.

Could this script possibly make it into the iptables distribution
tarball? I am flexible about the licence and all...

Thanks,

perl -e 'print "The earth is a disk!\n" if ( "earth" == "flat" );'

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx