Re: Basic IPTables / firewall help?

I don't know if there is another list elsewhere or not. I'm sure
there are lists but I would have no idea where to look other than
> Google or distribution support pages.

I have read a few, but most make my head hurt. ;) Maybe this is one of those things that just doesn't make sense until one day a light bulb goes off.

what I'd like is just a bunch of commonly used rules, with simple, plain english explanations of each part of the rule - what it does, and why, and how it protects the system.

To sort of answer what you want, you could do something like this:

If <packet(s)> match "x" do "this"
If <packet(s)> match "y" do "that"
If <packet(s)> match "z" do "something"

Yes, but... the approach that makes the most sense to me is simply deny everything, then just open up what you want. The problem is, I don't know enough about the protocols involved (and/or the packets themselves) to understand all of the lingo surrounding what you can 'do' with them. I'm not a programmer, but I do like running my own servers because of the flexibility it provides.

not to make too fine a point of it, but you'd probably go unnoticed at
Times Square.

Lol... that would actually pretty much have been true 30 years ago (I spent 9 months on Governors Island in the Coast Guard in 78/79, and Times Square was extremely bizarre, especially at night) - but from what I understand, Guliani pretty much cleaned it up some years ago...

i have difficult relating that, to someone, who, is running linux
with a need to 'modify' firewall behaviour ...

Running a small server with only mail and web services running. I just want to lock down everything as much as is reasonably possible.

I have a hardware based firewall/router that blocks all incoming connections except the ports I am using (25, 443, 587 and 993), but I'd also like to know what else I can do local_firewall-wise to protect these ports even more from mis-behaving/malicious clients/connections.

One of my main goals right now is to install fail2ban to prevent dictionary attacks, but have been hesitant to do so, since I really don't understand IPTables...

I'd like to add that there's a good iptables tutorial explaining most
things there are to know and more when you're just starting with this,
with examples. You can find it here:

http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html

Thanks for the replies...

I'll try the tutorial this weekend, and come back when I have questions...

Is it considered bad form to post current IPTables rules and ask for comments/critiques?
-