Re: Basic IPTables / firewall help?

On 02/20/08 16:10, Simon Jester wrote:
Is there a list somewhere that is more for newbies where I can ask dumb questions and not feel like I just stepped off a bus at Times Square with no clothes on?

I don't know if there is another list elsewhere or not. I'm sure there are lists but I would have no idea where to look other than Google or distribution support pages.

Really - IPTables rules mystify me. What I need is some help translating plain english (ie, I want to block everything except x, y and z) to the appropriate IPTables command/rule. This list appears to be far too technical for my needs...

IPTables is not that bad. The thing that you really need is an understanding of what you are working with (and trying to filter). The next thing you need is an understanding of how identify what you are trying to filter and then decide what to do with it. Third, you need to understand the different ways that you can arrange things in an if match accept / drop / jump type logic structure. (How to translate individual packet matching rules in to the """Business Logic""" of IPTables firewall rules.)

To sort of answer what you want, you could do something like this:

If <packet(s)> match "x" do "this"
If <packet(s)> match "y" do "that"
If <packet(s)> match "z" do "something"

"this", "that", and "something" can be the same or different actions. If you are happy with the simple match(s) you can decide to ACCEPT or DROP the packet(s) then and there. If you need to run other tests on just packets you can jump to a different chain where you start your different set of matches against just the packets that matched the first set.

Tia for any pointers or suggestions...

*nod*

I guess you can ask away with your questions. Or if you want to talk off list, email me directly.

Grant. . . .
-