Re: [NFQUEUE] Help with program that changes DHCP payload

Have you looked at the Figures in Oskar Andersson's tutorial on
iptables (available through a link on www.netfilter.org)  - they show
the sequence of tables and chains which are encountered by a packet on
it's way in, out, or when forwarded. IMHO that tutorial is mandatory
reading for anyone trying to work seriously with iptables.

>From your email below, I couldn't make out if your program was
accepting packets or sending out packets  - if indeed you are
capturing incoming packets - modifying them and them sending it to the
DHCP process on the same machine - ethereal will never see the
modified packets - unless you are sending them back on the wire again.

Ashok

On Jan 29, 2008 10:58 PM, Vincent Arniego <vincent_arniego@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I'm kinda new here and I would like some help regarding
>  netfilter_queue. If this is asked already, forgive me I didn't see it in the archives.
>
> I'm making a program that changes the value of an attribute in the DHCP
>  payload.
> I'm using nfqueue to intercept the packet, change the content of the
>  payload and resend it again to DHCP
> which resides in the same server as the firewall. Why am I doing this?
>  I'm making a pseudo option 82 using a translated bridge (which the mac
>  is unchangeable) but I'm using the hostname attribute instead.
>
> So far, I was able to change the content of the hostname attribute of
>  the payload, and I checked the packet again
> just to be sure its sending the correct content. I use nfq_set_verdict
>  to resend the packet with the modified payload.
>
> But it didn't work.
>
> The next thing is did *just to be sure is just changing the TTL value
>  of the IP header, then resending again, but it seems its not working. I
>  used ethereal to capture the packets that are coming in after
>  modification. And yes I checksummed it.
>
> These are my questions:
>
> 1. My firewall rule to intercept the packets is in the PREROUTING
>  chain, mangle table.Is this the correct way?
> 2. The packets that are captured by ethereal, are these the packets
>  before modification or after? (just to be sure I'm looking it the right
>  way)
> 3. What can I do to verify if the packets are indeed modified?
>
> If anyone need a snippet of the code, for everyone, I'll just send it
>  in a reply email.
>
> Thanks in advanced guys.

Ashok Rao

Great Arbor Communications