Dual Independent Networks

I have a question for you. I hope you are the correct or a good person to ask this question of. I have a linux box with two ethernet interfaces. I would like them to be treated as two separate interfaces that are not hooked to the same network. Both interfaces should run Zeroconf and have independent IP address. The second ehternet address is on a private network from the first ehternet address. Currently I am not using iptables but could use it to do connection tracking. What is currently happening is
1. eth0 is configured and gets a zeroconf IP address.
2. routing tables set to route all outbound packets for zeroconf out eth0.
3. eth0 is working correctly
4. eth1 is configured and gets a different zeroconf IP address.
5. An incoming packet from eth1 is received and processed, since the response is to go out to a zeroconf IP address, the response goes out eth0. The computer connected on eth1 does not see the response.

Could this be solved with running IP tables and doing connection tracking? or is more complex?

Thank You for your time and any help you can give
Kendrick Hamilton
-