Re: Blocking web-based proxy traffic

On 11/28/07 14:16, James Lay wrote:
The latter ;) Keeping the people on the inside from being naughty. One of my clients doesn't want a proxy server installed....I would normally just use squid and squidguard and be done with it, but that's not an option. So baring using Snort to do it (somehow) I was thinking netfilter/iptables to match strings on port 80 for "http". Hope that explains it better.

Ok. Aside from needing to use a Clue-by-4 on your client, you are headed down an ok track.

Be aware that you are looking for ASCII text that is recognizable as a prohibited site. If you do use IPTables to do your matches, you will either be able to DROP, REJECT, or DNAT (redirect) the traffic. The first option is not graceful at all as it will leave clients in a time out condition while the second option will probably more gracefully fail. The preferred option would be to DNAT (redirect) the traffic to a mini web server that will serve up a generic web page indicating that the access has been blocked.

I suppose that you can use layer 7 string matching to look for the prohibited URL in the the real get string. However if there is any obfuscation being used, even simple URL encoding using %## the chances of detecting the traffic is slim. This is why you should really look in to some sort of content filtering solution.

Would you be able to install something like DansGuardian and tell your client that it is a filter not a proxy and use that? Of course to use DansGuardian, you do have to have a proxy for DG to talk to.

Grant. . . .
-