Re: Blocking web-based proxy traffic

On 11/28/07 1:07 PM, "Grant Taylor" <gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 11/28/07 14:01, James Lay wrote:
>> Interesting idea.  I know that when I've captured this proxy traffic
>> I see in ASCII "http://"; and then whatever proxied site (usually
>> myspace).  I was thinking maybe a matchstring type thing?  Here's a
>> snippet from an access.log from a transparent squid proxy, using
>> sureproxy hitting playboy:
>
> Possibly.
>
>> 10.1.1.191 - - [28/Nov/2007:12:49:26 -0700] "GET
>> http://www.sureproxy.com/nph-index.cgi/011110A/http/www.playboy.com/imx/front
>> page/2008-calendars.jpg
>> HTTP/1.1" 200 366
>> "http://www.sureproxy.com/nph-index.cgi/011110A/http/www.playboy.com/";
>> "Opera/9.24 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X; U; en)" TCP_MISS:DIRECT
>>
>> Does my idea make sense or am I on crack :D
>
> Are you wanting to prevent proxy services from accessing your web
> site(s) or are you wanting to prevent people behind your proxy from
> accessing prohibited material?  This makes a *BIG* difference in what
> direction you go.
>

> Grant. . . .

The latter ;)  Keeping the people on the inside from being naughty.  One of
my clients doesn't want a proxy server installed....I would normally just
use squid and squidguard and be done with it, but that's not an option.  So
baring using Snort to do it (somehow) I was thinking netfilter/iptables to
match strings on port 80 for "http".  Hope that explains it better.

James

-