Re: iptables NAT logging

Jonathan Gazeley wrote:
Hello,

I am stuck while trying to log a NAT box to a sufficiently high level.

The NAT box caters for up to several hundred users in a large organisation (University of Bristol) so thorough logging of all connections is essential, for traceability and our legal requirements. Basically I need to know which internal (private) address was talking to which external IP address on which ports at which time.

My NAT solution is implemented in iptables and works fine. The logging partially works but the problem is this: I am logging pre NAT, and my log shows the internal IP and port, and the destination IP and its port. But it does not show the port used by the NAT box to talk to the external IP. Logging post NAT would never detect any packets. If I was able to long pre and post NAT I would be able to log all the information I need.

Logging in filter/FORWARD should see all packets.

M4

-