iptables problem with port translation

I'm having a very strange intermittent problem getting iptables to work performing port address translation. I'm running a Tomcat web server on my server on a non-privileged port and trying to redirect traffic from ports 80 and 443 to ports 8080 and 8443 respectively on a virtual IP address:

/sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dst #{ip} -- dport 80 -j DNAT --to-destination #{ip}:8080 /sbin/iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -i eth0 --dst #{ip} -- dport 443 -j DNAT --to-destination #{ip}:8443

Generally speaking, everything works fine, unless I'm trying to download large files (1MB+) in size, and then the connection will freeze up from both the client's and server's perspective (both think the connection is established, but all tcp traffic has ceased.) This does not happen every time, or in the same point in the download, but it only happens when iptables is performing the PAT, if I run Tomcat as root and bind directly to 80 and 443 then the problem never occurs. I've also noticed that it's less likely to occur while I'm running tcpdump to monitor the traffic, this may be making the root cause less likely to trigger. I've also observed via tcpdump that the client does notice the pause and attempts to send TCP resets, but the server has "gone quiet" at this point. The server is running CentOS 4.4 with iptables 1.3.5. Anyone have any ideas what might be causing the connection problems or how I can track this down?

Thanks in advance,
Jason Blumenkrantz
-