Re: NAT problem with iptables

Cliff Stanford a écrit :

Pascal Hambourg wrote:

A possible explanation may be the following.
The remote box sends a continuous stream of UDP packets. The first packet was received before the ruleset was installed but after the conntrack was loaded, so a conntrack entry was created with no NAT, and does not expire because of the continuous stream.

Thank you!  You hit the nail right on the head!

Clear the conntrack table by any means and see what happens.

I cleared it with conntrack -F and you were absolutely right.  It's now
working as expected.

In order to avoid this, the iptables ruleset must preferably be installed before the network interfaces are UP and some traffic is sent or received.

I knew it had to be my naivety but I couldn't see
what I was doing wrong.

It has nothing to do with naivety. Your ruleset was correct. I believe this kind of problem requires fair knowledge and understanding of how Netfilter performs connection tracking and its side effects. Fortunately you provided enough information, which not everyone does all the time.

Out of interest, I can't seem to find a syntax that conntrack -D likes;
is there a tutorial for it anywhere or any docs better than the man page?

I have never used conntrack and cannot help you on this, sorry.
-