netfilter optimization.

I'm looking for some firewall tweaking advice.  We have a dedicated
firewall which hit ran out of conntrack slots recently.  We had already
tweaked the number max_conntracks to 131072. That box was an RHEL 4 box.
We are building a new firewall, based on 2.6.22.  Reading some older
docs, they mention that if you can, set conntrack_buckets to the same as
conntack_max, if memory permits.  This box has plenty 512mb.  In the
sample reference doc, it says that you can do about 1048576 at a cost of
about 300mb of ram.  This is fine.

Since this is a dedicated firewall box, with only ssh, cron, smartd and
sysstat running on it, what would you recommend the settings to be?  And
what is the best way to set these (/etc/sysctl.conf)?

Playing around I found that I can set nf_conntrack_max to the value, but
when I set nf_conntrack_buckets to the same I get permission denied.
nf_conntrack_buckets is set to 4096, which if I read the documentation
correctly, would slow down the link list parsing as it would have to
refer to the conntrack list more often.