REJECT target not as policy

Hi,

on one of my machines the REJECT target doesn't behave as I
expect. It is inserted into a chain but it is not accepted
as a policy.

myhost ~ # iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP 2 packets, 116 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
    0     0 REJECT     tcp  --  any    any     anywhere             anywhere    ...

But:

myhost ~ # iptables -v -t filter -P INPUT REJECT
iptables: Bad policy name

How comes this? I guess it is a kernel option I have to
change. But which?

Thanks in advance,

Bertram

--