Re: blocking access to port 22 when INPUT policy is ACCEPT

Am Tuesday, den 31 July hub Grant Taylor folgendes in die Tasten:

> >But what's wrong with the two rules?

> Nothing.  The old saying "If it isn't broke, don't fix it..." with it's
> third stanza "...optimize it!" comes to mind.

:)

[...]
> >You might have noticed that I've changed the "DROP" to "REJECT" with
> >fitting type which will make the live of you and other people easier
> >when debugging anything related to ssh access to this box.

> The problem with this is that if you have an IP address of e.f.g.h, the
> first rule will reject the connection.  Negative logic does not work
> quite as you would expect it to.  You have to work with inverted
> positive logic below (invert the result of the entire set of logic).

Argh.
I should not write mails when totally tired.
I'm really sorry for the fnord.
Thanks for getting it right.

> There is also the fact that fewer and fewer things know how to handle
> error messages like this, or if they do they do not display them to the
> end user.  (Thanks M$!)  You may have better luck with a basic REJECT
> target than one that specifies the ICMP error code unless you know that
> you are working with a client application that can correctly interpret.
[...]

You're sadly right here, too.
But I have to state that tcpdump (which most probably will be most
often used when debugging network problems) shows this correct.
I think ethereal^Wwhireshark will do so, too.

Ciao
Max
--
	Follow the white penguin.