Re: Block LAN DHCP broadcast

Gnarlodious wrote:
> On 7/16/07, Thomas Jacob wrote:
> >What makes you think that your router passes
> >on DHCP requests?
> Because computers connected to the modem will obtain a Linksys DHCP
> range, and computer's connected to a Linksys router may obtain a modem
> DHCP.
>
> I have a DSL modem/router at the terminal end of a chain of Linksys
> routers, and the modem is not very configurable. I need to block DHCP
> at the Linksys so the modem is invisible to the routers. I tried
> disabling DHCP on the modem, but it has a server running from it and
> the server requires DHCP to be running. I could let the router handle
> the server's DHCP request, but then I would need to have another
> device on the UPS battery. I want to have only two devices taking
> power from the UPS battery, the modem and the server.

A diagram might be more helpful.

> Any help to solve this problem with software would be greatly
> appreciated. These routers are Linksys WRT54GL with BusyBox v1.6.0 and
> iptables v1.3.7.
>
> >On the contrary, one usually does have to put in
> >a bit of effort to allow dhcp over routers (=> dhcp relay)...
> In the BusyBox setup, DHCP broadcast is on by default, and apparently
> a little hard to disable.

DHCP is broadcast when one requests an IP.  That's why it's D(ynamic)HCP.

>From what it sounds like, you have several routers attached to the same
network as the dsl modem.  There's really no way to stop DHCP across that.
The best way I can think of is to have a system (computer, router, whatever
running linux) with 2 bridged interfaces and block DHCP traffic going across
the bridge.  I did this at work with a spare PC so that my part of the
network would see my BOOTP server and not the DHCP server that is also on
the network.  (HINT, use ebtables!)

 Got Gas???