Re: Block LAN DHCP broadcast

On 7/16/07, Thomas Jacob wrote:
What makes you think that your router passes
on DHCP requests?
Because computers connected to the modem will obtain a Linksys DHCP
range, and computer's connected to a Linksys router may obtain a modem
DHCP.

I have a DSL modem/router at the terminal end of a chain of Linksys
routers, and the modem is not very configurable. I need to block DHCP
at the Linksys so the modem is invisible to the routers. I tried
disabling DHCP on the modem, but it has a server running from it and
the server requires DHCP to be running. I could let the router handle
the server's DHCP request, but then I would need to have another
device on the UPS battery. I want to have only two devices taking
power from the UPS battery, the modem and the server.

Any help to solve this problem with software would be greatly
appreciated. These routers are Linksys WRT54GL with BusyBox v1.6.0 and
iptables v1.3.7.

On the contrary, one usually does have to put in
a bit of effort to allow dhcp over routers (=> dhcp relay)...
In the BusyBox setup, DHCP broadcast is on by default, and apparently
a little hard to disable.

-- Gnarlie