Re: per socket nfmark

On 07/11/07 09:06, tomasnull@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I would like to bring up the question, if there is a way to associate a nfmark with a socket. It would be very helpful as it saves the matching against iptables rules which would have to than match the packet and associate the nfmark.

The closest that I can think of is the (apparently depreciated?) owner match. At least if you could say that there was one owner to a socket, you could then associate that with the traffic (to? /) from said socket / owner. However it is my understanding that the owner PoM extension will not apply to kernels newer than 2.6.15, or there abouts.

The same question was already posted here: http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter/2002-October/039074.html

Hum, it does not look like there was an answer to that question. With regards to that question, one thing that comes to mind is turning your server in to some sort of re-director of sorts. I'm not even sure that would work. Consider using separate IP / port pairs for the different sites, probably something other than port 80. Then put some sort of reverse proxy on port 80 that will redirect to the back end servers on their individual ports. This would allow you to do a source / destination port match on tc rules and know that you are only applying to the traffic for that given server / service. Hopefully, this rate limiting would also apply through the proxy. Or, if you could get some sort of association / mark / etc through the proxy you could apply your tc rules outside of the proxy based on the association / mark / etc that was put on the traffic before it went through the proxy. Just a thought. I know that this is far from a solution, but it is at least something to think about.

Grant. . . .