Re: Configuration question for my first iptables setup

Reid írta:
I am brand new to iptables, and I want to setup a basic firewall for a dedicated web server. I'm
accessing the server remotely, and already locked myself out once.

I've come up with the configuration below, but feel like I don't know what I'm doing.  Does the
following look reasonable? Am I overlooking anything major? Thank you for input.

Nope.. This is NOT reasonable...
You have set the first rule in your INPUT chain to ACCEPT everything from anywhere... :D
The following rules will never get hit !!!

Try the "iptables -vnL" command to see it !!!

The last rule is also "useless" because your DEFAULT POLICY is DROP.

In the other hand without those two rules it seems ok... (Depending on what you want to achieve...) :D

Just to guide you:
1. I would enable the lo interface to ACCEPT everything...
2. Accept anything that ESTABLISHED or RELATED
3. I would group up the rules depending on the protocol...

Swifty
iptables -L
Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
target prot opt source destination ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp flags:ACK/ACK ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state ESTABLISHED ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp spt:domain dpts:1024:65535 ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-reply ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp destination-unreachable ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp source-quench ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp time-exceeded ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp parameter-problem ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:www ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:https ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:ssh ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:auth ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-request ACCEPT tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:10000 DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpts:2049:2050 DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpts:x11:6063 DROP tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpts:afs3-fileserver:7010 DROP all -- anywhere anywhere
Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination
Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)