Re: NAT

On 7/3/07, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 7/3/2007 1:52 AM, Martin Schiøtz wrote:
> I'm going to setup a bridged NAT linux box for many users. I want one
> outside IP address to serve for instance 10.0.0.0/22.

Why do this with bridging?  If you have a 10.0.0.0/22 network like you
say, it is private and thus not globally routable.  So, to reach the
internet you will have to NAT to a globally routable IP.  Thus you have
a private subnet and a public subnet which is an ideal environment for a
layer 3 router.  Even if you are not going to a public IP but rather
another private IP, the same scenario holds true.

Or are you for some wanting wanting to perform a layer 3 function on
layer 2?  If so, can I ask why?

Ok, I think your right here.

> I want to be sure that each local IP address always has 1024 NAT
> sessions available and that sessions is kept even if the timeout is
> reached. If 1024 sessions is reached and a new session is being
> established then it will take over the oldest (timed out) session.

I'm not sure that you will be able to specify how many NAT sessions each
system will have and / or how to control the expiration there of.  I do
know that you will have (or did have to in previous kernels) to have a
fair amount of RAM for the connection tracking table to not wrap on a
network of that size.

> Is this possible with iptables?

The first part of what you want to do (layer 2 or layer 3) NATing, yes.

As far as controlling how many sessions are reserved / maintained even
beyond timeouts, I don't know.  I'm betting not, especially to the latter.

I guess the question was more about controlling the number of NAT
sessions pr. lokal IP address?

- Marftin