Re: NAT

On 7/3/2007 1:52 AM, Martin Schiøtz wrote:
I'm going to setup a bridged NAT linux box for many users. I want one outside IP address to serve for instance 10.0.0.0/22.

Why do this with bridging? If you have a 10.0.0.0/22 network like you say, it is private and thus not globally routable. So, to reach the internet you will have to NAT to a globally routable IP. Thus you have a private subnet and a public subnet which is an ideal environment for a layer 3 router. Even if you are not going to a public IP but rather another private IP, the same scenario holds true.

Or are you for some wanting wanting to perform a layer 3 function on layer 2? If so, can I ask why?

I want to be sure that each local IP address always has 1024 NAT sessions available and that sessions is kept even if the timeout is reached. If 1024 sessions is reached and a new session is being established then it will take over the oldest (timed out) session.

I'm not sure that you will be able to specify how many NAT sessions each system will have and / or how to control the expiration there of. I do know that you will have (or did have to in previous kernels) to have a fair amount of RAM for the connection tracking table to not wrap on a network of that size.

Is this possible with iptables?

The first part of what you want to do (layer 2 or layer 3) NATing, yes.

As far as controlling how many sessions are reserved / maintained even beyond timeouts, I don't know. I'm betting not, especially to the latter.

Grant. . . .