Limitations on connections

Hi people!
Please don't flame/blame me I don't know much about iptables (yet, Ihope so.. :-)
I was wondering if I can limit the established connections on a specific portusing iptables rules.
For example, lets say that we have an irc daemon (ircd) running on 6667,6668 etcand/or (another example to be more specific) a shout cast streaming serverlistening to 8000 or other port.
Can I limit on a) ircd the users connecting or b) e.g. the listenerson shout cast to aspecific number?Lets say that I don't want more than 20 listeners simultaneously.If I am not wrong, that means I don't want more than 20 establishedconnections on port 8000.
Is this possible using iptables rules and if yes, it is going to workproperly ?
-- Κατά βάθος είμαι χαρούμενος, διότι δεν περιμένω να μου συμβεί κάτι γιανα νιώσω καλά.