Re: Using DNAT and SNAT to do a local redirection does not work (want to do what rinetd does with iptables)

On 6/9/2007 2:25 PM, Stefan Mayr wrote:
An answer I often read but nobody says what's wrong with loopback. I thought it depended on the rules of the scenarios (obviously too much thinking involved here).

*nod* There is nothing specifically wrong (per say) with loopback other than the kernel imposed security, which has been discussed elsewhere. I guess this kernel imposed security is not in and of its self a bad thing so long as you are aware of it and have things like dummy to work around it. ;)

I really have to thank you for this enlightenment.

No problem. I'm just glad that I was able to help. I've all too often been working on a problem and not known the fact that was stopping me from making things work. It is a way to either get gray hair or loose what little hair you may have left or worse yet both.

I used dummy0 and now my iptables ruleset works.

Good.

That is why I used the loopback-device and my /etc/sysctl.conf
contains the following lines:

net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2

*nod*

So arp-requests/announces are always answered/sent from the right interface.

*nod*

Now the lesson is learned, setup is up and running.

Good.

Thanks,

You are welcome.  :)

Grant. . . .