Re: Bridge Transparent Proxy

On 05/22/07 12:07, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
Thanks, I wasn't aware of this option as I haven't done much with bridging since I had lots of trouble with trying to bridge and NAT on the same network (use allow the same physical network after my linux gateway to carry my public network and the NATed private network). I will have to look into it again, this option may have been a cause of some of my issues.

*nod*  Bridging Routers can be interesting critters to work with.

Brouters are usually used to allow globally routable systems IP addresses to be used in front of and behind a firewall (of sorts). I.e. a small block of IP addresses that the brouter uses for its external IP address as well as internal public servers use IP addresses from to be directly accessible from the net with out any sort of NAT.

(INet) --- (Cable / DSL modem) --- (BRouter) --- (Server(s)
                                             --- (Workstation(s))

To pull this off usually you bridge the internal and external NICs together and multi home the bridge interface for your internal and external IP addresses. I.e. bri0 = A.B.C.D and bri0:1 = 192.168.144.254 are your IP addresses.

In this case, you only bridge traffic to / from the A.B.C.x network and route any thing else. You can even serve DHCP on the internal LAN with out a problem.

In this scenario, you can use either EBTables or IPTables to do your filtering. The only thing you need to remember is to not bridge (DROP in the brouting table / BROUTE chain) any internal traffic and force it to be routed. Another way to say it is to only bridge traffic to / from your globally routable IP addresses. Remember that you will need to pass some ARP traffic too.

Grant. . . .