Re: Policy targets...

On 2007-05-11, G��Lajos <swifty@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was reading the iptables manual because I needed the correct arguments
> of the policy (-P) command.
> Here it is:
>
>        -P, --policy chain target
>               Set the policy for the chain to the given target.  See the
> section TARGETS for the legal targets.  Only built-in (non-user-defined)
> chains can
>               have policies, and neither built-in nor user-defined
> chains can be policy targets.
>
> So I checked the TARGETS.
>
> TARGETS
>        A  firewall rule specifies criteria for a packet, and a target.
> If the packet does not match, the next rule in the chain is the
> examined; if it does
>        match, then the next rule is specified by the value of the
> target, which can be the name of a user-defined chain or one of the
> special values ACCEPT,
>        DROP, QUEUE, or RETURN.
>
> My question is: What is the difference between the ACCEPT and the RETURN
> target in policy ??? :D

I think this is missunderstadning in man page. If you read the TARGETS
section carefully you could see here is nothing about policy even if -P
paragraph referres to it.

My opinion is ACCEPT and DROP only are valid policies. I don't know
where I have this idea from but I'm pretty sure that other targets have
not sense in policy context.

-- Petr