integration with network processor

Hello,

Here is the goal

We have general purpose CPU (MIPS with MMU)
and a simple network processor - all in one ASIC. Microcode running in the
network processor  executes lookups according to the packet address/port source/destination,
protocol type, MAC address source/destination. Depending on the outcome of
the lookup network processor can

- drop the packet

- forward the packet
to one of the interfaces

- forward the packet to the CPU

Microcode is fairly
flexible and can be extended to provide counters of the packets per logical
flow, etc. Network processor works with EMAC packets - handles packets containing
MAC header.

We are running 2.6 Linux kernel in the CPU.

Naturally I
would like to use netfilter for

management of the network processor and
use

the fast network processor to forward as many

packets as possible
without CPU intervention.

I read through the documentation and started

study the source code. It appears, that it's

possible to solve the
problem. But I would like to

avoid solving the same time problem twice.
Is

there any example(s) of integration of the network

processor and netfilter
? If there is no code any

documentation/tips/links could save me lot of

time.

thank you