Re: throttling an internal IP's upstream bandwidth

Scott van Looy wrote:
Today Martijn Lievaart did spake thusly:

Scott van Looy wrote:

I'm on DSL, I only have small upstream and big downstream. Everything goes through a 1:1 NAT iptables firewall - so internal IPs are directly mapped to an external IP. I want to throttle the internal upstream bandwidth so the internal machines can't upload at more than 25k/s as the maxing out of the upstream is killing the much faster downstream...is there a way to do this using iptables?

Google for wondershaper.

I use wondershaper, it doesn't let me throttle on a per machine basis tho - I want the firewall to only allow a max of 25k out for each of my internal machines

Ah, then you have to do some work yourself. The answer is most probably tc, not netfilter. If you don't have a lot of internal machines, you can add a filter/qdisc for all of them but for large amounts of internal machines (or with dhcp), this gets unwieldy.

However, wondershaper should do what you ultimately want, shape traffic so uploads don't disturb downloads. It works for me.

M4