Re: SSHBrute Force: False Postives

On Feb 08, 2007, fender wrote:

> On 2/6/07, Michael Rash <mbr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >false

> >--name
> >--hitcount

> >> portknocking is merely security through obscurity, is it not?
> >>
> >> especially so with modules that reside with preset defaults...
> >
> >Section 4.1 of the following document provides a good argument for why
> >port knocking is not security through obscurity:
> >
> >http://web.mac.com/s.j/iWeb/Security/Port%20Knocking%20and%20Single%20Packet%20Authorization/Port%20Knocking%20and%20Single%20Packet%20Authorization_files/An%20Analysis%20of%20Port%20Knocking%20and%20Single%20Packet%20Authorization%20%28Sebastien%20J.%20-%20ISG%202006%29_1.pdf
> >
> >(Sorry for the length of that URL).
> >
> >This argument applies equally well to single packet authorization, and
> >combine this with other security properties of SPA that are much more
> >robust that port knocking implementations; SPA is the way to go.  In
> >summary, these properties are:
> >
> >- SPA does not suffer from the replay problem.
> >- SPA supports much more data communication (so things like asymmetric
> >  encryption algorithms can be supported).
> >- SPA cannot be trivially broken just by spoofing a duplicate packet
> >  into the port sequence.
> >- SPA does not look like a port scan to any intermediate IDS.
> >

> The portknocko project implements both security techniques:
> portknocking and "SPA". In our opinion, SPA is a portknocking variant,
> that is why
> we don't make a difference between them.

fwknop also implements simple port knocking, but IMHO both the security
properties and the general architecture of SPA warrant calling it
something besides "port knocking".

Technically, port knocking refers to the transmission of
authentication information within packet headers instead of application
layer data (at least if you agree with the definition given to port
knocking by the person who coined the term, Martin Krzywinski).

> Usage [1]:
>

> # iptables -P INPUT DROP
> # iptables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
>

> 1) "the simplest way": one rule portknocking:
>

> # iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW
>            -m pknock --knockports 2002,2001,2004 --name SSH
>            -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
>

> 2) or "the secure way" (or "SPA"): hmac auth with two iptables rules:
>

> # iptables -A INPUT -p udp -m state --state NEW
>            -m pknock --knockports 2000 --name SSH
>            --opensecret your_opensecret --closesecret your_closesecret -j
>            DROP
>
> # iptables -A INPUT -p tcp -m state --state NEW
>            -m pknock --checkip --name SSH -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
>

> That's all, without daemons and without configuration files. Just
> iptables to configure your firewall rules ;)

That's cool.  It is also worth noting however that there are some
advantages to having a userspace daemon over an in-kernel
implementation:

- The best encryption algorithms (and implementations of those algorithms)
  can be supported; both asymmetric and symmetric (fwknop supports GnuPG
  and Rijndael).

- Additional authentication requirements can be met, such as
  communicating with an LDAP server or even just checking if the remote
  user possesses a valid crypt() password (fwknop supports crypt()
  checking now, and more checks are being developed).

- Timeout-based ACCEPT rules can be managed by the userspace daemon.
  Fwknop uses a dedicated chain for all rules that it creates/destroys,
  and it uses a single well defined interface to create and destroy
  those rules.

- The client can dictate complex access requirements to the server, and
  the server can filter these requirements with granular precision.
  Once strong encryption is used and non-replayability is ensured,
  nothing prohibits even a full command channel over SPA.

--
Michael Rash
http://www.cipherdyne.org/