SSHBrute Force: False Postives

I have been reading up on iptables and i am by no means an expert but i have a problem with SSH brute force attacks on port 22. I am currently using the config below to minimise these threats but i am constantly getting false positives (logs actually say that my connection has been flagged as a brute force connection even on the on the first attempt-but then on others it connects first time with no problems)

#SSH Brute-Force Scan Check
$IPTABLES -N SSH_Brute_Force
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --name SSH --set --rsource -j SSH_Brute_Force $IPTABLES -A SSH_Brute_Force -m recent ! --rcheck --seconds 60 --hitcount 4 --name SSH --rsource -j ACCEPT $IPTABLES -A SSH_Brute_Force -j LOG --log-level info --log-prefix "SSH Brute Force Attempt: "
$IPTABLES -A SSH_Brute_Force -p tcp -j DROP

Any help with this problem would be great

Dominic