Re: SSHBrute Force: False Postives

On Feb 01, 2007, Wakko Warner wrote:

> franck joncourt wrote:
> > In order to prevent such attacks, you can write iptables rules to set up port knocking. This is the way, I do.
>
> I thought about doing this, but I ultimately decided against it.  The
> problems of doing the knocking outweighted the benefits.  I prefer to let
> them try a few times before my current rules ban them.

If someone finds a remote exploit in sshd, then just allowing
connections at all can potentially expose you to compromise.  As far as
port knocking is concerned, I agree, there are a ton of problems.  There
is a better alternative called Single Packet Authorization:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/docs/SPA.html

Fwknop is an implementation that is based around iptables:

http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/

--
Michael Rash
http://www.cipherdyne.org/