Re: Connect to localhost bound port from outside?

Grant Taylor a écrit :
Pascal Hambourg wrote:

Iptables will happily redirect anything you like to localhost, but the kernel IP routing prohibits communications with a loopback address on a non loopback interface and thus will drop the packets.

Does this apply if the reverse path filter is turned off?

Yes. This is not a reverse path issue, as rp_filter=1 checks only the source address, not the destination address.

Or is this a hard coded filter in the kernel that can not be gotten around?

AFAIK, it is hard coded. I guess the reason is that RFC 3330 reserves 127.0.0./8 for the loopback and prohibits its use on any network outside the host. Unfortunately, the routing code does not know that the packet was DNATed and has an original non-loopback destination address.

Another thought to the OP would be to use the Dummy interface in lieu of the Loop Back interface as I believe it does not have the same restrictions that Loop Back does. However I could be mistaken.

I do not see how a dummy interface might be useful here. Can you please clarify ?

I have often considered using lo for local only but using dummy as a spur network to bind services to and then route traffic in to the spur network. Thoughts / Opinions?

A dummy interface is a black hole, a kind of "/dev/null" interface, traffic you route to it is lost. This is very different from a loopback interface, whose traffic you route to it loops back and is received by the local host. It is fine to use a dummy interface if you want to add an extra address to the host and bind services to it, but I guess you could do the same with the loopback interface.