problem with (incorrectly?) INVALID packets

Hey,

I'm getting quite stuck with a problem of returning packets not being
classified as ESTABLISHED or RELATED (when they get to LFW).
Below is an attempt at an diagram explaining the setup.

            internet

           81.1...4.217
           SDSL Router
           81.1...7.49
         (81.1...7.48/28)
               |        (90.1...1.64/27)
             switch           /
       ________/\_________   /
      |                   | /
  81.1...7.50        81.1...7.59
     BFW               bridge
  192.168.0.1        90.1...1.69
(192.168.0.0/24)          |
      |              90.1...1.67
                         LFW
                    192.168.136.1
                  (192.168.136.0/24)

In the above diagram 90.1...1.64/27 is routed by the SDSL router to
81.1...7.59, as it can't support more than one range on it's "LAN" side.
The bridge has a rule for traffic from 90.1...1.64/27 to go via a default
gateway of 81.1...7.49, as it can route to that.
Traffic can go in, out, and over LFW just fine.
To add a bit more difficultly, the interface on LFW with public IPs is also a
bridge, some may remember my question about bridging and NATting, this is the
machine which will be doing that.
When I ping things from LFW I get an ICMP redirect to 81.1...7.49, but I don't
see anyway I can reach it directly from 90.1...1.67. This is however a minor
annoyance.

The real problem is when you overlay VPNs onto that diagram (something I gave
up trying to draw). There is a tunnel between 192.168.0.0/24 and
192.168.136.0/24.
0.0/24 can do all the things they are supposed to be able to do to 136.0/24.
136.0/24 can do all they things they are supposed to be able to do against the
internet.
136.0/24 however can't do anything to 0.0/24, as the packets coming back from
0.0/24 get blocked by rules designed to stop non-authorised traffic being
initiated from 0.0/24 to 136.0/24.

Pretty much the first rules I have say any ESTABLISHED or RELATED packets get
accepted. Which should match these returning packets, and does on the
more "normal" firewalls I run.
For some reason I have failed to fathom, all the returning packets that come
in over any of the VPNs (there are 3), are INVALID not the ESTABLISHED or
RELATED they should be.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

(I use fwbuilder to manage and generate my rules, as it has served me well for
about 2 years)

--
Mike Williams